[support] How to insert links to other pages on the same site?

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Sun Jan 28 21:55:31 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 11:06:52AM -0800, Earl Miles wrote:
> Richard Brown wrote:
> > I understand where you are coming from but look at it from the reverse
> > side. i.e. Using Wordpress you click on a button and that brings up a
> > url box. You insert the url required press enter. Now you are given a
> > title box, which you enter, etc. Wordpress uses tidymce as a text
> > editor. Obviously Chris could install tidymce but I think what he
> > might be saying is he wants this out of the box.
>
> This is of course great for people who want TinyMCE out of the box. WHich is a
> lot of people. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who don't. Personally I
> can't stand TinyMCE. It gets in the way too much.
>
> > I am not intending to start a flamewar by the way. I am simply stating
> > that WP and Drupal probably have two different user groups.
>
> Certainly. There will likely be a Wordpress-alike Drupal profile at some point,
> now that install profiles are doable. But they're still too new to be very
> effective. They'll get there as more people create profiles and work out the
> kinks in getting them available.

I'm in a sort of 'in between' place.  As regards data entry I'd be
happiest using vi (or a clone), it's what I use all day and every day
at work.  What I was hoping for in Drupal (and similar CMS systems)
was an easy way to create web page content, that doesn't *necessarily*
mean a WYSIWYG editor.

In Drupal when you use TinyMCE it's not remotely WYSIWYG, it's
basically an 'HTML pre-processor' but what is typed in the textarea
doesn't really resemble what you'll see on your web page at all.

I think what I was hoping for (but doesn't seem to exist yet) is
something like the report creation part of Access, or the Forms in
Access.  That isn't remotely WYSIWYG but it allows you to play about
with the whole report/form in one window.  Exponent *attempts* to be a
bit like this but fails because it (like Drupal) has modules and stuff
which you can't change or even get at easily when you're editing
content.

I know that the flavour of the moment is separating content from
structure but when I'm designing a web page I want to be able to
change both from somewhere near the same place.

--
Chris Green (chris at halon.org.uk)