[support] How to insert links to other pages on the same site?

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Sun Jan 28 22:09:10 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 01:48:40PM -0800, Earl Miles wrote:
> cl at isbd.net wrote:
> > The *content* entry bit is supposed to be non-html-aware user
> > friendly, the above isn't.  I've sort of dropped down the gap between
> > the two.  I can (and occasionally do) write raw HTML but I was hoping
> > Drupal etc. would avoid the need.
>
> Aha, now I understand. Your assumption is incorrect. Drupal does NOT assume
> that the content entry bit is non-html-aware friendly. It does do some things
> to make it easier -- automating paragraphs and line-breaks, but it's still,
> fundamentally, HTML input, and you need to use HTML markup tags *or* some
> alternative to this.
>
> The belief that something that translates into HTML is 'fundamental' appears to
> be at or at least near the foundation of the problem here.

So your saying basically that all that Drupal is doing (I realise that
'all' is a very great deal) is to separate the structure from the
content and that the content is still the same as it every was.  It ca
be 'masked' behind something like TinyMCE but that really loses as
much as it gains.

OK, I can understand that but it isn't what a lot of CMS systems seem
to be trying to sell me.  *Lots* of them are saying that once you have
set up your structure the 'designers' can relax and the non-techie
members of staff can do all the data entry.  What you're saying above
is that the data entry is still really HTML and the non-techie users
are going to have as much trouble as always (well, nearly, you have
taken away the problems of creating a nice menu structure and a
consistent look).

--
Chris Green (chris at halon.org.uk)