[support] How to insert links to other pages on the same site?

Earl Miles merlin at logrus.com
Sun Jan 28 22:18:10 UTC 2007

cl at isbd.net wrote:
  > So your saying basically that all that Drupal is doing (I realise that
> 'all' is a very great deal) is to separate the structure from the
> content and that the content is still the same as it every was.  It ca
> be 'masked' behind something like TinyMCE but that really loses as
> much as it gains.
>
> OK, I can understand that but it isn't what a lot of CMS systems seem
> to be trying to sell me.  *Lots* of them are saying that once you have
> set up your structure the 'designers' can relax and the non-techie
> members of staff can do all the data entry.  What you're saying above
> is that the data entry is still really HTML and the non-techie users
> are going to have as much trouble as always (well, nearly, you have
> taken away the problems of creating a nice menu structure and a
> consistent look).

I wouldn't say as much trouble as always, for three reasons.

1) The 'content' generally doesn't need the positioning details that make
working with web stuff hard. In general, CMS' expect the content stream to be
just a stream.

2) The markup set you need for content is minimal, and if you look in the
filter tips, there is some documentation to help non-techies understand what
they can mark the content up with. I'm not convinced that "non-techies" can't
are still very common within content.

3) A lot of the hard work is taken away. Titling is taken care of and
paragraphs are dealt with.

But yes, at some level there has to be, still, some kind of markup. TinyMCE can
do some of this for you, if you can get it configured to work the way you like
it, but things like TinyMCE are worlds away from the editors we are more
familiar with.

I'm not sure that CMS' are steering you wrong; I do feel you have a couple of
errant assumptions about what you'll be getting, and certainly if you NEED
those assumptions, you may be in the wrong place, but there may not be a right
place.

And on most sites, non-technical people do the data entry. But even non
technical people have to learn a few technical things. Even in Word. Heck, I'm
a technical person and I can't figure out Word most of the time. =)