[support] How to insert links to other pages on the same site?

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun Jan 28 22:47:15 UTC 2007

On Sunday 28 January 2007 4:01 pm, cl at isbd.net wrote:

> I was hoping to avoid HTML by using Drupal (or another CMS), I thought
> the point of the exercise was to make it easy for non-techie people to
> enter web content.

I think a lot of this boils down to the question of what you mean
by "content".

If your "content" is a list of names, phone numbers, scores, or other small
bits of content, then you are best served by using CCK to have lots of little
fields of primitive content (plain strings, numbers, etc.).  Then your uses
aren't writing HTML, but get a stock layout that you define in the template.
This is closest to the "Access forms" example.

If you want them to be able to define "freeform blobs of text", then, quite
simply, any program that claims to let you do that without HTML (either
hand-written or code-generated like TinyMCE) is lying.  It has to be HTML
when it gets to the browser.  Somewhere between the user's brain and the
print statement that sends it to the browser later, it has to get converted
to HTML.  That can be something the user does himself or something TinyMCE
(or any other markup assistance utility) does, but it has to happen
somewhere.

Even using something like the internal link module (which lets you specify a
link to another page on the site by its path, like so: [node/5]) gets
rendered down to HTML eventually.  That is unavoidable, no matter what
publishing system you use.  If you want to format something, you need a
formatting system and syntax and you need to know that system and syntax.
That's the case even in word processors.

Perhaps you can give a better example of what sort of content your users will
be adding?  That would make it easier to recommend something to you (Drupal
or otherwise).

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012