[support] how to add links as content types or nodes?

Stefan Borchert stefan at borchert.cc
Mon Jan 29 08:52:16 UTC 2007

will hall schrieb:
> mm, well the problem with this is that they look identical to pages and
> really the display is key. it also doesn't actually show the urls. it is
> just like an empty page, titles linked to another url not the full node.
>
> we need something that is more specific to weblinks and more like the
> display we started.

Hi.
Here is how I would do it:
- install views:
http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/drupal/files/projects/views-5.x-1.5.tar.gz
- install cck:
http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/drupal/files/projects/cck-5.x-1.2.tar.gz
- install link:
http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/drupal/files/projects/link-5.x-1.4.tar.gz

- create a new content type (lets call it "weblink"):
    - Name: weblink
    - Type: weblink
  - add a field for this content type:
    - Label: weblink
    - Field Type: link
    -> give it a title and perhaps select "Link Title: Requiered Title"

- create a view ("weblinks")
    - Name: weblinks
    - Provide Page View: yes
      - View Type: Teaser List (or List View)
    - add fields
      - Title
      - Body (Handler: Teaser)
      - Link weblink (field_weblink)
- create a template for the new content type
(http://drupal.org/node/62466 is a good point to start)

Sounds really complicated but should do it.
hth,

 Stefan