[support] multiple users with same email address

Greg Dunlap gdunlap at seattletimes.com
Mon Jul 16 22:11:05 UTC 2007

One thing you can do is add a "+" to the name portion of the address, followed by anything you want. For example if you already have the email address

foo at bar.com

Then for your next user you can use

foo+bar at bar.com

This mail will go to the same place as the first one, because email servers ignore everything between the + and the @. So you can have essentially the same address, but it will still be unique from Drupal's perspective.

I use this a lot for identifying the source of my email (for instance when i register at amazon i use the address foo+amazon at bar.com, and then I can track who amazon is selling my name too, unless they are smart enough to strip it out beforehand which some places are.)