[support] Creating a static archive of drupal site ("base" directive gets in the way)

Cheryl Chase cheryl at mathiasconsulting.com
Tue Jul 17 19:10:48 UTC 2007

I would like to create a static html archive of my drupal site (on a
regular basis, for corporate compliance reasons related to
documenting previous states of the publicly published information).

I have referred to the drupal manual page at http://drupal.org/node/
27882. But I have two problems (because I am simply archiving a
snapshot of the site, not retiring it, so I don't want to interfere
with the normal, drupal-based, dynamic operation).

1. When I use any of the download tools (wget, sitesucker, I've not
yet tried httrack) to download the site, the function
drupal_get_html_head in file includes/common.inc outputs a directive
". This causes the downloaded pages to contain links which try to
open the original site on the Internet, rather than the local file copy.

2. I would like to be logged in as a special user, named "archive",
which is configured specially for archive purposes. For instance, it
has no permission to search; it displays a custom block that tells
that this is an archived version of the website, and states the date
on which it was archived, etc. This works for me when I manually
login as user "archive". How to get a downloading tool to login as a
drupal user (they are good at http authentication, but have no
understanding of drupal authentication).

Thanks,

Cheryl