[support] Mode to extract tags from a posted node

Kitt Hodsden kitt-drupal at hodsden.org
Fri Jul 20 16:01:26 UTC 2007

Quoting Earnie B:

> Quoting Kitt Hodsden:
>
> > Dan,
> >
> > Here you go: http://kitt.hodsden.com/drupal/extract_tags_module
> >
> > You'll have to use comma separated tags, instead of space separated:
> >
> > tags: tag1, tag3, taginfinity
> >
> > Enjoy.
> >
> > Kitt.
> >

> > Quoting Dan Karran:
> >
> >> Does anybody know of an existing module which will extract tags from
> >> the body of a post (i.e. a line like "Tags: tag1 tag2 tag3") and pass
> >> them to the taxonomy system to tag that node?
> >>
> >> I've had a skim through the Taxonomy related module list on drupal.org
> >> and didn't spot anything...
> >>

> I am not sure why one would want to do this?  Can someone explain why I
> would want to embed the tags in my node text instead of adding the
> appropriate category (vocabulary) settings to the content type?  I have
> hierarchy disabled and free tagging checked and it allows me to enter a
> comma separated list.  I also get the benefit of dynamic suggested
> terms based on what is being entered.

What Dan said.

Ever use Flickr?  Ever use Flickr via mobile phone or email where you can tag
photos with "tags: tag2 tag3" ?  Ever duplicate this functionality on your own
site where you can post via your cell phone via email or SMS?

Yeah, that's why: because not everyone is sitting at the Drupal interface typing
in node content.

And, really, it's okay.  People use software in ways you wouldn't expect them
to, sometimes in creative ways, sometimes in ways you think are dumb.  Doesn't
matter.  If it works for them, then let them use it that way.

Kitt.