[support] Mode to extract tags from a posted node

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Fri Jul 20 15:03:22 UTC 2007

On 7/20/07, Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Quoting Kitt Hodsden <kitt-drupal at hodsden.org>:
>
> > Dan,
> >
> > Here you go: http://kitt.hodsden.com/drupal/extract_tags_module
> >
> > You'll have to use comma separated tags, instead of space separated:
> >
> > tags: tag1, tag3, taginfinity
> >
> > Enjoy.

Many thanks, Kitt! I didn't expect someone to write the module for me,
I just didn't want to duplicate work. Anyway, great work  :)

> I am not sure why one would want to do this?  Can someone explain why I
> would want to embed the tags in my node text instead of adding the
> appropriate category (vocabulary) settings to the content type?  I have
> hierarchy disabled and free tagging checked and it allows me to enter a
> comma separated list.  I also get the benefit of dynamic suggested
> terms based on what is being entered.

You're right, it's not that useful for adding tags through the normal
methods, where it's just as easy (and you get a lot more context) when
adding the tags through the taxonomy fields. I was more thinking of
situations where you may be posting something in a non-standard way,
such as by email, sms or xmpp, where these fields wouldn't be
available to you.

Imagine maybe you had a site where you could email Drupal a message...

"Learning about cool new maps
tags: maps, openstreetmap
place: london"

... and it'd post it for you, tag it up, and maybe even take the
location information and deduce some lat/long coordinates for it, etc.
It's sort of looking at Drupal more as a software platform than a
content management system, and it's great for that sort of thing.

Cheers,
Dan

--
Dan Karran