[support] More effective use of auto-complete in Profile

Neil: esl-lounge.com neil at esl-lounge.com
Wed Mar 7 22:40:45 UTC 2007

Laura,

I have already looked at the Location module and it isn't quite what I want, although I may revisit it. This is going to be a global site and the txt files available are not complete. Once I have a basic Profile/Register page set up with autocomplete working to gather users' towns, I may look to Location as a additional tool but it isn't complete enough (yet) to do what I want. Maybe I didn't spend enough time on it.

My original idea was to use dependent dropdowns as a way of avoiding free text boxes and cut down on misspellings, etc. It seems nye on impossible to get effective dependent dropdowns set up on Drupal and we have been pulling our hair out over the DependantDropdown module which is buggy and with zero documentation. So now our attention has turned to this autocomplete idea as long as we can pre-populate and if possible, add other info (such as state) to the dropdown itself once a user starts typing.

Thanks for your response.

Neil