[support] creating menus with "system" destination URLs

Neil: esl-lounge.com neil at esl-lounge.com
Sun May 6 08:50:46 UTC 2007

This is an example of the type of behavior I'm seeing, so as to make it a
little clearer. I don't think the "me module" I mentioned in my initial post
is at all relevent as I'm seeing this with all sorts of URLs I would term as
"system" URLs.

1. I set up a menu item Search with /search as the destination. It shows.

2. I set up another menu item "Recent Posts" with /tracker as the path
(don't worry: I didn't actually use the slash in the path!). It doesn't show
at all under the Search item.

3. I change the destination URL of the "Search" menu item to something more
generic like "node/34" and it shows up AND the Recent Posts item suddenly
appears too.

4. When I actually click on "Recent Posts" and go to /tracker (which, again,
I consider to be a default system URL), up above in my menu, the sub menu
item "Recent Posts" disappears!

I am 100% convinced this is NOT a theme issue. I dipped my toes into this
whole menu/sub-menu issue a month ago whilst using Garland on my test site
and I began to see unusual behavior then. I told myself it was a Garland
issue and it would be fine with our new theme. It isn't. It's totally broken
and it seems to be the menu module. Out of interest, I set up "Forum" as a
menu item (going to /forum) and it appeared AND allowed me to put regional
forums (forum/2, forum/5) underneath it and they all appear perfectly. I
would have expected problems with these URLs but haven't had them.