[support] creating menus with "system" destination URLs

Neil: esl-lounge.com neil at esl-lounge.com
Tue May 8 00:10:23 UTC 2007

David,

I had the same problems when I was using Garland a month or two ago. I had
the theme developer look at this issue and he said he'd spend 2-3 hours
poring over it and was convinced it was a menu module problem. He said
looking at the html source that even when some sub-menus were appearing, the
"active" CSS class wasn't being passed to them to allow the little white
arrow on our theme to appear.

I too am convinced it's drupal itself and not the theme, due to the fact
that it's the TYPE of url involved that makes these menu items appear and
disappear. If it was html or css, they'd either always or never appear.
Period.

Just now I created the following:

Forum (node/23)
- USA Forum (forum/3)
- UK Forum (forum/4)
- Europe Forum (forum/6)

and everything showed beautifully, all the white arrows got attached to
"active" links right on cue. Then as soon as I changed the parent Forum URL
to the correct "forum" path, the whole thing broke. Clicking on it took me
to the main forum page but none of the sub-items show anymore. Going
manually to the USA forum then brings all the sub-items into sight and I can
then click from child to child, but as soon as I dare to click on the parent
Forum again, all the child menu items disappear. Change the destination URL
back to node/77 or the like, back they come.

Someone on .org and also Earnie on this list mentioned PathAuto. They could
be right, although /forum isn't a pathauto URL, it's a default one....isn't
it???

The only other drupal-related issue that has led me to cause so many
head-shaped depressions in my walls is the issue that dare not speak its
name (whisper it..."dependent dropdowns")

Oh dear....