[support] Staging and Deployment

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Sat May 12 14:47:30 UTC 2007

Quoting Mike Bishop <mbishop at adamsonadvertising.com>:

> Happy Friday to all!
>
> I would like to hear your thoughts on staging and deployment. I am writing
> some scripts to take care of these tasks and would like to hear about how
> you build and deploy your sites.

Research the archives; I've seen this discussed.  What I would do is to
create a virtual site for the staging and then at time of deployment,
point the live site to the new site.  The other possibility is to use a
subdirectory for the staging and at the time of deployment move the
subdirectory contents up one level.  Make use of the table prefix in
both methods to control site version.

Earnie