[support] Staging and Deployment

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Sat May 12 16:15:26 UTC 2007

On 5/12/07, Earnie Boyd <earnie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Quoting Mike Bishop <mbishop at adamsonadvertising.com>:
>
> > Happy Friday to all!
> >
> > I would like to hear your thoughts on staging and deployment. I am writing
> > some scripts to take care of these tasks and would like to hear about how
> > you build and deploy your sites.
> >

> Research the archives; I've seen this discussed.

*cough* http://lists.drupal.org/pipermail/development/2007-March/022987.html
*cough*

How quickly folks go from asking newbie questions themselves to
directing someone else to the archives :p

> What I would do is to
> create a virtual site for the staging and then at time of deployment,
> point the live site to the new site.  The other possibility is to use a
> subdirectory for the staging and at the time of deployment move the
> subdirectory contents up one level.  Make use of the table prefix in
> both methods to control site version.

Indeed there has been lots of discussion about this in the past, though:

Threads/docs of note:
http://lists.drupal.org/archives/development/2006-06/msg00360.html
http://drupal.org/creating-drupal-test-sites
http://drupal.org/node/22282

Mike - this would be a great area to research and bring together more
sub-pages to that "creating drupal test sites" page.  There are lots
of scenarios and possible best practices to consider.

Regards,
Greg