[support] best way to handle forms and recipes? possibly stupid questions

Jason Flatt drupal at oadaeh.net
Thu May 17 13:29:13 UTC 2007

On Wednesday May 16 2007 8:53 am, Jean Gazis wrote:
> I'm working on a site for a company that delivers organic groceries. On
> their (quite rudimentary) existing site (www.urbanorganic.com) they have an
> order form that emails to them. I'd eventually like to get them into an
> e-commerce setup, but that is not part of the current site revamp project (
> http://urbanorganic.jeangazis.com), so for now, I just need to put in place
> a form that will email to them.
>
> Is the forms module the best way to go for the ordering?

I'm not real familiar with this module, so I cannot say.

> For new customers,
> should I use another form or can I use user profiles?

You could do that. I have site setup that makes heavy use of the profile
module to keep track of employee information. Some of the fields are filled
in at account creation time and some are filled in later. Then I created a
few different code snippets that display that information in different ways.
However, if you don't want to invest a lot of time and coding at this point,
then you may want to look at doing it slightly differently: you could also
add to the profiles the option of using CCK and the Node Family, Node
Profile, Usernode set of modules, which would allow additional functionality.
You would still create user profiles, but then you can use any module that
makes use of CCK and/or Views and add, change, display that information in
other ways. See the very recent thread where Larry talks about displaying
musicians using CCK and Views for ideas.

> I want to move them
> in the direction of a customer community, so I'd like the sign up for the
> service and the site to be the same.

That should be totally possible, even if you simply use a basic checkbox on
registration to sign people up.

> I want to set up a recipe swap forum/area. There's a recipe module, but no
> info on its features. I started to create a custom content type, but I am
> missing something - a fields module? Where do I do more than give it a name
> and a title field? I feel dumb! I want this to be as simple for the end
> users as possible.

When you edit a content type, there is a tab labeled "Add field", usually up
near the title. The path is:
admin/content/types/<name-of-content-type>/add_field

> The theme I'm using is Golden Hour which I like a lot.

I'm not familiar with the theme, but maybe it's not showing the tabs. If
that's the case, you may want to specify a different administrative theme at:
admin/settings/admin

--
Jason Flatt
http://www.oadaeh.net/