[support] best way to handle forms and recipes? possibly stupid questions

Jean Gazis jgazis at gmail.com
Mon May 21 22:20:32 UTC 2007

I don't see any add field option on the content type edit page in any of 3
themes I tried, including Garland. Do I need to have a separate CCK module
installed? Isn't the core supposed to have that functionality in Drupal 5?

On 5/17/07, Jason Flatt <drupal at oadaeh.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday May 16 2007 8:53 am, Jean Gazis wrote:
> > I'm working on a site for a company that delivers organic groceries. On
> > their (quite rudimentary) existing site (www.urbanorganic.com) they have
> an
> > order form that emails to them. I'd eventually like to get them into an
> > e-commerce setup, but that is not part of the current site revamp
> project (
> > http://urbanorganic.jeangazis.com), so for now, I just need to put in
> place
> > a form that will email to them.
> >
> > Is the forms module the best way to go for the ordering?
>
> I'm not real familiar with this module, so I cannot say.
>
> > For new customers,
> > should I use another form or can I use user profiles?
>
> You could do that. I have site setup that makes heavy use of the profile
> module to keep track of employee information. Some of the fields are
> filled
> in at account creation time and some are filled in later. Then I created a
> few different code snippets that display that information in different
> ways.
> However, if you don't want to invest a lot of time and coding at this
> point,
> then you may want to look at doing it slightly differently: you could also
> add to the profiles the option of using CCK and the Node Family, Node
> Profile, Usernode set of modules, which would allow additional
> functionality.
> You would still create user profiles, but then you can use any module that
> makes use of CCK and/or Views and add, change, display that information in
> other ways. See the very recent thread where Larry talks about displaying
> musicians using CCK and Views for ideas.
>
> > I want to move them
> > in the direction of a customer community, so I'd like the sign up for
> the
> > service and the site to be the same.
>
> That should be totally possible, even if you simply use a basic checkbox
> on
> registration to sign people up.
>
> > I want to set up a recipe swap forum/area. There's a recipe module, but
> no
> > info on its features. I started to create a custom content type, but I
> am
> > missing something - a fields module? Where do I do more than give it a
> name
> > and a title field? I feel dumb! I want this to be as simple for the end
> > users as possible.
>
> When you edit a content type, there is a tab labeled "Add field", usually
> up
> near the title. The path is:
> admin/content/types/<name-of-content-type>/add_field
>
> > The theme I'm using is Golden Hour which I like a lot.
>
> I'm not familiar with the theme, but maybe it's not showing the tabs. If
> that's the case, you may want to specify a different administrative theme
> [...]

Jean Gazis
www.jeangazis.com
www.boxofrain.us

"Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it." - André
Gide