[support] Adding custom menus as submenus

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Sat May 19 13:38:49 UTC 2007

On May 19, 2007, at 7:00 AM, Krister Ekstrom wrote:

> I want to add a custom menu i have created called "the person" and
> later
> another menu called "the business" as an expandable sub menu to
> "primary
> links".

Here's what you can do to have a submenus to your primary links: On
the settings tab of your menu admin screen, change the "Menu
containing secondary links:" to Primary links. What this does is
change how your Secondary menu that is in your theme template is
generated. Instead of being a separate menu, it will now display 2nd
level items from your primary menu.

Now create your secondary menu selections as menu items in your
Primary menu, and indicate their parent terms when you do it. So if
you have your menu set up like this:

Primary Menu

Fruit
- Apples
- Oranges
- Pears
Vegetables
- Asparagus
- Okra
- Cabbage
Breads
- Pumpernickel
- Rye
- Challah

...then when you lick on Fruit, for example, your secondary menu
array will display Apples, Oranges, Pears, but when you click on
Vegetables, that secondary menu will change to display Asparagus,
Okra, Cabbage

Hope this helps!

Laura