[support] How hard is it to install CVS on a new VPS?

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Thu Nov 1 20:27:26 UTC 2007

Gang,

I'm about to go from shared hosting to a VPS setup (most probably with
modvps.com after some research). They use CentOS version of Linux and it
doesn't come with CVS pre-installed (like Debian does).

In the last month I've significantly upped my (previously non-existent)
command line skills, opening up the OS X's Terminal Ap a few times a week
and accessing my web host via SSH or fussing around on the Mac. Mostly what
I'm doing is using tar for backup and extraction.

Given my lack of experience, my plan is to pay modvps.com $40/hr to install
CVS, given that it would probably take me hours to figure it out and the
last thing I want to do is mess up a pristine VPS installation. I figure it
shouldn't take them more than hours, yes?

[The part in Pro Drupal Development about using CVS for your Drupal
installation is totally awesome, I'm so excited about doing that.]

Convince me otherwise or confirm that I'm on the right track.

Thanks much,

Shai