[support] How hard is it to install CVS on a new VPS?

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Fri Nov 2 13:43:14 UTC 2007

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 09:01:55 -0400
sander-martijn <lists at severeddreams.com> wrote:

> It sounds like you're going in the right direction except for one
> thing. You should try to install cvs yourself.  It's how you learn
> and although you may get stuck and have to ask for help later
> you're unlikely to really mess things up.  Besides, unless they've
> already quoted $40 to set up cvs for you I doubt that's what it
> will cost.  Most hosts charge over $100/hr to perform unsupported
> tasks.

maybe installing cvs is supported, what most probably will be
unsupported will be to deal with it in the future... that's worth to
consider learning a bit of cvs tricks... even if well unless
something tragic happened I hardly see anything that would require
more than 1h to fix in a simple setup... provided you've cvs
backups... but well this is another piece of the puzzle missing I
guess ;)

If he thinks 30min of his time spent elsewhere other than learning
cvs is worth more than $300 (estimated cost of: setup + *independent*
recovery procedures[*] + learning investment), he can pay them $40 now
and hope for the best.

[*] what if he not satisfied of your ISP and he wants to move the
rep elsewhere?

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it