[support] Same node, multiple places

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Oct 16 15:35:19 UTC 2007

Hi folks.  I'm trying to figure out the cleanest way to set this up.

I have a site that is actually kinda sorta 2 sites.  It doesn't make sense to make it a multi-site, really, but it needs to give the impression of multiple sites, visually.

For the most part that's easy; just base the template file off of the path for the sub-site.  (/ and /journal in my case).  However, the client wants news items (news nodes) to appear on both "sites", with each one having its own visual appearance.  That is, at /news/$nid it uses the main site template, while at /journal/news/$nid it uses the sub-site's template.

Is there a good way to do that?

So far my best guess is to use something like Panels 2 to create a panel at each location that has only one pane, which is the node specified by an argument.  Of course, I haven't actually worked with Panels 2 yet, just seen Earl's demos, so I'm not sure if that's actually a reasonable plan.  Is there some better way?

(This site will be built on Drupal 6; it's just in planning stages now, so I want to figure out what I'll be doing in 3 months to build it. <g>)

--Larry Garfield