[support] multiple sites on same install was: Re: Upgrade to Drupal 5?

sander-martijn lists at severeddreams.com
Tue Oct 16 23:53:38 UTC 2007

 > I use it to manage different
> instances (eg dev, test, production) of the same site so that each
> instances unique settings.php stuff can be version controlled along
> with the other instances in the same codebase. That way I can check
> out the codebase onto any of our servers or virtual hosts and it will
> pick up the appropriate database connection and other settings.

Ok - this sounds vastly interesting to me.  I would love to hear a more
detailed explanation of how this might be set up.  Can you upgrade a
module on dev first and then port it to stage/prod?  Can you use
subdomains for this (mysite.com and www.mysite.com, dev.mysite.com,
stage.mysite.com)?  Is there a tutorial on drupal.org or would you be
willing to provide more detailed information as to how you accomplish
this?

I am currently running my dev environment on a completely separate
server and that worked for this smaller project but I am about to embark
on some bigger projects and this sounds like it will be the way to go.

.s