[support] Online Journal / e-Portfolio

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Wed Oct 17 22:28:32 UTC 2007

Hello, Daniel,

Part of the challenge of designing a good portfolio app is that
everybody thinks of different things when they think about a portfolio.

The UI gets even more complicated if, for example, you want your
students to be able to create a custom order for their artifacts --

You've gotten some good info in this thread so far, particularly with
respect to views and the portfolio page content type -- some additional
comments included inline below --

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Larry Garfield wrote:
>
>> Will there always be a one-to-many relationship from user
>> to portfolio piece?
>>

> Yes.
>
> - Each pupil will have multiple portfolio pages.
> - Each portfolio page will belong to exactly one pupil.
>
> If two students work on a project together they can each make a separate
> page about it.

You might want to look at cck and nodereferences here -- using this
functionality, your students could reference one piece of content from
within another.

>> If so, just have them create "portfolio piece" nodes, then
>> setup a view at user/$arg/portfolio.  $arg is the userid.
>> That will then show you all of user 5's portfolio nodes on
>> user/5/portfolio, all of user 9's portfolio nodes on
>> user/9/portfolio, etc.

This is created using the views module. However, I would recommend
setting the $arg to username instead of userid, as the usernames tend to
be more friendly than a number.

> That sounds just perfect, but I don't know how to do it. How do the
> pupils create a "portfolio piece" node and how do I create a view for
> it? Can I create a new content type and call it "portfolio node"? If so,
> how?
Use CCK and Views. The Views Bonus Pack is also very helpful.

http://drupal.org/project/cck
http://drupal.org/project/views
http://drupal.org/project/views_bonus

Cheers,