[support] Multi-site question

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 19 12:43:06 UTC 2007

Quoting sander-martijn <lists at severeddreams.com>:

> Because as Ivan said (this is assuming you want to migrate one or some
> of the sites not all) you would need to use a script like sed or
> manually separate the tables with the appropriate prefix from the rest
> of the databse.  You might be able to export foo_% but I didn't think
> using the % variable worked on tables - I could be mistaken.

I think maybe the dba module [1] could use some love to add an export
function.  The tables for the site would then be Drupal controlled
which gives the benefit of not dealing with tables from other sites.
It will already do a backup for you but from cron.php.

> either way, that's just one of several reasons given why a single
> database can be more complicated and less desirable than separate
> databases - however no one said it can't be done and if the benefit
> outweighs the drawbacks mentioned you certainly can do it, just that
> there are reasons why it is not the best way to go.

Of course, but the more databases the more database processes you also
have so you also need to concern to the CPU power and memory limits of
the host.

[1] http://drupal.org/project/dba

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/