[support] Troubleshooting URL rewrites

Amanda B Hickman amanda at velociraptor.info
Tue Oct 23 16:00:03 UTC 2007

Yes! It would be nice if drupal gave me a little more information about
just what fails. It sends you off to
http://staging.example.com/drupal/admin/settings/clean-urls

where you see a "404: Not Found" error. All my logs say is that I tried
to reach a page that didn't exist (er, and that the page was
http://staging.example.com/drupal/admin/settings/clean-urls which,
indeed, does not exist)

I did read through http://drupal.org/node/15365

I did set the rewrite base.

Changing the Apache <directory> directive to "AllowOverride All" does
work, but I'd like to limit the change to the drupal directory, which I
haven't been able to do.

     15  <Directory /srv/apache2/staging/drupal/>
     16  AllowOverride All
     17  </Directory>

Doesn't get me anywhere.

Adding a rewrite base to the directory setting doesn't help anything:

     15  <Directory /srv/apache2/staging/drupal/>
     16  AllowOverride All
     17  RewriteEngine On
     18  RewriteBase /drupal
     19  </Directory>

I don't know any more tricks, myself. I'm not sure how to interpret the
rewrite rule suggested on drupal.org ...

 <Directory /var/www/example.com>
   RewriteEngine on
   RewriteBase /
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
   RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?q=$1 [L,QSA]
</Directory>

I realize that this is an Apache question at this point, but it requires
just enough knowledge of Drupal that I sort of need help here. If anyone
has any insights or fortitude with Apache configuration, I'd like to
resolve this.

Thanks,
Amanda

--