[support] Development Site -- Keep the Public Out

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 29 13:04:47 UTC 2007

Quoting Shai Gluskin <shai at content2zero.com>:

> So I'm working with an organization on a site rebuild. I have a test site
> set up on my domain.
>
> My problem is that the "Welcome to your New Drupal Site" page is showing up
> on the home page for anonymous users.

Create a page for only the anonymous user info.

> I've installed the Content Access module (
> http://drupal.org/project/content_access) to make it so that the staff and I
> can all work on the site and the content won't be available to the public
> till we launch (and change the access settings).

Then using the content access module give only the anonymous user access.

> I created a block with permissions set to "anonymous" and display set to
> "only on <front>"; it displays in the center of the page (thanks to LiteJazz
> Theme) telling anonymous folks that this is a development page, with a link
> to the old/live site.

You might want to change that control to PHP and ``<?php return
($user->uid == 0); ?>''

> When I (role=webmaster) or staff (role=staff) log in, everything is fine,
> just like I want it -- the block disappears and all the content appears.
>
> I just want the "Welcome to your New Drupal Site" to disappear for anonymous
> users.

Hope the top end of my response gives you an idea.

> I tried making the "You are on a test site" a node instead of a block. That
> makes the "Welcome to your New Drupal Site" dissappear for anonymous users,
> but the "You are on a development site" node, continues to appear after
> staff or I have logged in. I've tried in Content Access to just check
> "anonymous" -- but it seems that module doesn't work the same way as the
> blocks code does.
>
> Is this a bug in the Content Access module?

Hmm... It should work.  I'll give it a try in a few.

> Any other ideas on how I can get what I want?

You could try create a content type that only anonymous users can access.

Earnie