[support] theming primary links, or absolute paths when drupal is in a sub-directory

Cog Rusty cog.rusty at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 16:15:34 UTC 2007

Generally, if you access your Drupal site as
http://www.example.com/drupal/ then that's your site's web root.

If you use a fully qualified URL in a menu to take you to
http://www.example.com/news that will take you outside Drupal, unless
you have set up a Drupal site for http://www.example.com.

I am not sure I completely understand what you are trying to achieve
and what you are running in your http://www.example.com site, but the
usual method of using multiple domain names is to point all domain
names to Drupal's installation directory and set up respective
settings.php files for the different domains to use the same database
($db_url).

Consider
- setting up Drupal sites for all the domains or subdomains you want
(see http://drupal.org/node/147828),
- don't set up a Drupal site for http://www.example.com/drupal/,
- and use your .htaccess file to make Drupal leave alone certain paths
of your other application (http://drupal.org/node/30334).

There was a discussion about using some .htaccess tricks
(http://drupal.org/node/144643) but I wouldn't go there before trying
all the standard methods. This kind of .htaccess tricks tend to make a
setup fragile.