[support] intranet/extranet combo - good idea?

Laura Scott laura at pingv.com
Fri Sep 7 21:35:10 UTC 2007

> I'll be developing both an intranet and an extranet for a client (a
> church).
>
> Now, I'm thinking of doing this with subdomains and a common codebase,
> like:
>
> www.churchname.com
> intranet.churchpage.com
>
> This would enable single logins for the staff, but I'm curious if this
> the way to go as I haven't really found a lot of info about these
> kinds
> of setups on drupal.org.
>
> is this a good way to do it, or do you think I will run into too many
> problems regarding security and other stuff? Is it better to separate
> the intra- and extranets?

The simplest at this point would probably be to share a filesystem,
if you want, but have different databases, then set up single signon.
Splitting one site across several domains or subdomains can be
complicated. The multidomain module does this, ostensibly, but can be
rather tricky to configure.

If you do SSO in the arrangement you say, you wlll want to watch out
for cookie collisions.

Laura