[support] intranet/extranet combo - good idea?

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Fri Sep 7 21:24:56 UTC 2007

Morten,

I've done two different sites that do Intranet and Extranets on the same
Drupal installation/ same database with no subdomains.

As with just about everything in Drupal there are many ways to do the same
thing. On one site I use Taxonomy Access Control and on the other site I use
Content Access. I would recommend using Content Access; that combined with
the built-in ability regarding "roles" and you've got all you need. With
content Access you create content types specifically for viewing only on the
Intranet. So you create a new content type called "Staff Post" for instance
which has all the same fields as a "Story" but because it is its own Content
Type you have more control over when it shows up.  You'll have to have Views
installed as well (sometimes I forget that isn't part of core since I use it
in every Drupal install that I do) so that you can create an Intranet home
page.

Feel free to ask more details if you end up taking one of these routes.

Shai