[support] (yet another) views question

sander-martijn sander at sander-martijn.com
Tue Sep 11 01:08:31 UTC 2007

ok - so i'm trying to create a custom view that looks something like this

CA PA NY

California
-----------
Los Angeles, CA
name
contact Info

San Francisco, CA
name
contact info

Pennsylvania
-----------
Scranton, PA
name
contact info

New York
-----------
New York, NY
name
contact info

Brooklyn, NY
name
contact info

Albany, NY
name contact info

whereas the state abbreviations target to the full state name and only
states with contacts appear.  I also have an almost identical
requirement where month/year jumps to a list of events happening in that
month/year combination, so I would prefer a general solution over a
module that does exactly one, the other or both.

I created a content type with a state selection and a view to group
them.  The problems I had with this were
1. In the pull down I can have abbreviation or full name, not both (in
custom cms apps i've built i used state abbreviation in the value and
name in the display thereby getting both - it would be great to have this)
2. When the view groups items rather than creating a header for the
grouping it puts them together but repeats it every time.
3. it's actually putting the state in twice - once above the listing and
once between location and contact info

Is this all stuff I can fix through theming, am I configuring it
incorrectly or am I going down the wrong road entirely?

this is the actual output I'm getting - no theming done yet:

    *
      AL
      here
      state: