[support] people and categories

paola.dimaio at gmail.com paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 10:05:41 UTC 2007

>    3. Re: people schema (Jean Gazis)
>    4. Re: linking the categories (Cog Rusty)
>    5. Re: linking the categories (Cog Rusty)

Jean
re people schema
thanks for heads up, I ll wait for that before building extensions

Dear Rusty Cog
thanks for advice
I ll have to sit down and study it all (takes time)
Thing is, that even building custom code, needs expertise and a clear
schema/data model, I need to develop that considering the constraint
of drupal implementation.  will take into account your great advice and will
consult you furthe after I come up with something
thanks
PDM

> [...]
> -- ...
> -- Topic 1000
>
> Applies to all content types.
> Mandatory, mutiple select
>
> Case 2: A somehow better design
>
> Sections (vocabulary)
> -----------------
> Section 1
> Section 2
>
> Applies to all content types
> Mandatory, single select
>
> Topic 1 (vocabulary)
> -------------
> -- Subtopic 1
> -- ....
> -- Subtopic 10
>
> Applies only  to content type "topic1"
> Mandatory, single or multiple select
>
> Topic 2 (vocabulary)
> -------------
> -- Subtopic 1
> -- ....
> -- Subtopic 10
>
> Applies only  to content type "topic2"
> Mandatory, single or multiple select
>
> Now, the user will have 2 manageable category selection lists. The
> second one will be shorter and different based on the content type.
>
> Or else, you could create different content types for each section, so
> that you can use the taxonomy_defaults module
> (http://drupal.org/project/taxonomy_defaults) to assign a specified
> section category to each so that the user won't see a second selection
> list.
>
> Notice that content types are not only for adding different fields.
> They are also used for workflow (different publishing options and
> different associated vocabularies). So, you can use that to move some
> of the users' burden to yourself (having to manage 20 content types
> vs. having the users manage 1000 terms in an error-prone way).
>

> > So one way of doing that (perhaps) would be for each parent term have a
> new
> > 'category', so that each parent term can be made mandatory (hence
> > creating a superstructure) and then making one or more children
> > optional, and then linking a freeflowing tags to that.
> > Has someone implemented a nice complex hierarchy using taxonomy module
> > and has advice ?
> >
> > thanks
> >

> > --
> > Paola Di Maio
> > School of IT
> > www.mfu.ac.th
> > --
> >

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 03:03:46 +0300
> From: "Cog Rusty" <cog.rusty at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [support] linking the categories
> To: support at drupal.org
>
> On 9/9/07, Cog Rusty <cog.rusty at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/8/07, paola.dimaio at gmail.com <paola.dimaio at gmail.com> wrote:
> ...snip...
> I should add that by using different content types, besides the
> shorter selection lists, as a bonus you get neat links like
> "node/add/[type]" which you can place in any "section page" or block.

Paola Di Maio
School of IT
www.mfu.ac.th