[support] turn debug on?

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Thu Sep 27 15:41:21 UTC 2007

Hello,

I've been following this thread, and have a couple suggestions --

sander-martijn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to debug an issue with the queries that the location module
> is performing.  Basically it works flawlessly when logged in but not
> when you're not.
I would have to say that the location.module works pretty well -- we
have deployed it on a variety of sites over the last year and have had
minimal issues.
> I erred earlier thinking it was working fine, but I
> guess it's not.  The module doesn't seem to be actively maintained so
> I'm stuck debugging it myself.
Debugging code is pretty standard. The time spent debugging/customizing
is still less than the time required to build it from scratch. Your
initial statement reads as if you are criticizing a developer who has
put a lot of time into writing code that you now want to leverage. The
last commit to this module was August 23rd, just over a month ago, which
is pretty recent. I don't know if your intent was to level criticism,
but it came across that way to me. If you want more focused attention,
you might want to try a short term support deal with the dev -- you pay
him to help solve your problems. It would save you time and frustration,
and would get more focused attention on the module from a person who
knows it well.
> If anyone has any ideas as to why that
> may happen or what to look for I would greatly appreciate it (i've
> already patched the module with a patch someone offered on the support
> page as well as edited some sql to eliminate an ambiguity issue - I got
> rid of the errors but not get "Displaying results 1 - 0 of 11 for search
> on 05401" for a search that has 11 results if you're logged in).

There are now a few different variables to troubleshoot -- the integrity
of the module, the integrity of the patch, and the integrity of new code.
> That said I have a more general question that has nothing to do with the
> module.  I want to find out what the queries are that are getting
> executed on the database so that I can
> a. compare them to the code (i discovered while debugging the first
> issue that the queries executed are not always the same as t
> b. run them directly on the db and see what I get

Have you looked at the MySQL query log?
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/query-log.html

Good luck in solving your issues, and I hope that these suggestions are
helpful.

Cheers,

Bill

--