[support] My Week for Cron Problems -- this time "failure to open

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Tue Apr 29 04:32:59 UTC 2008

Hi Cog,

Thanks for the reply. First let me say that the following command is
now *working
fine* on the account I was having trouble with:

15 * * * * curl --silent --compressed http://example.com/cron.php >
/dev/null 2>&1

Here are two commands that I tried previously. The first command is the one
that is working on other accounts. The second one was recommended by my VPS
host tech support, but it didn't work either on the troubled account.

15 * * * * /usr/bin/php -q /home/<account_name>/public_html/cron.php

15 * * * * /usr/local/bin/php -q /home/<account_name>/public_html/cron.php

I'm still curious. Of course it is less urgent now that curl is working for
me. And based on the handbook page that you sent me to, the curl way seems
to be more of a best practice.

Shai