[support] My Week for Cron Problems -- this time "failure to open

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Tue Apr 29 08:30:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 00:32:59 -0400
"Shai Gluskin" <shai at content2zero.com> wrote:

> I'm still curious. Of course it is less urgent now that curl is
> working for me. And based on the handbook page that you sent me to,
> the curl way seems to be more of a best practice.

Drupal is mainly written to have a web interface. There are cookies,
POST, GET, authentication, REFERER. You can expect that the efforts
will be put into making it work from the web and running cron.php
from the cli may have unexpected result.

That doesn't mean it couldn't have a cli interface (I think there
is a cli interface for drupal admin but it still rely on HTTP)... that
just mean I doubt it is something I'd rely on.

I don't think people will put stuff in cron that will redirect, use
javascript, expect to see on the other side a "regular" full-fledged
browser... but still it would be a conservative choice to put on the
other side the smaller thing that resemble a browser if you're not so
tight on resources.
You could even write a telnet script, use netcat whatever... but life
is complicated enough by itself: wget, curl, links etc will mostly do
the trick for a reasonably long foreseeable future.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it