[support] can't reorder blocks after upgrade from 5 to 6

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Sun Dec 7 14:50:44 UTC 2008

Jody and gang,

I'd recommend going into the db itself (via phpMyAdmin or the command line
or another tool, whatever) and check on the weight field in the blocks
table.

>From what I understand, the sort order of blocks on the back end hasn't
really changed with 6; it's only the front end that has changed.

You might want to truncate (delete) all the data in that table and start
over. Since that is a required field that doesn't except "NULL" and has a
default of "0," it will reset all the weights for all blocks to 0. If you've
got a gazillion blocks and maybe different settings for different themes,
you might not want to do that.

In that case, I'd try just changing the weights of just the blocks you want
to re-order directly in the db and see if you get the results you want.

Of course, you should back up your db before fussing like this.

Report back,

Shai