[support] Multiple sites using subfolders

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 11 19:45:31 UTC 2008

Quoting John Fletcher <net at twoedged.org>:

> Hi everyone,
>

> I'd like to set up multiple sites using subfolders.  Basically the client
> wants their site in multiple languages, but doesn't want to attempt to
> synchronise the various sites and pages between the languages or do anything
> that the content translation/i18n modules offer.
>

> So I want a bunch of independent sites in a multi-site setup.  This could
> easily be achieved using domains like www.example.com, de.example.com,
> fr.example.com etc.

Possible

> The question is, can I do the same thing putting the sites at:
> www.example.com, www.example.com/de, www.example.com/fr.

Possible

Have a look at the examples in the comments of the settings.php file.

> This guy explains the same problem quite well http://drupal.org/node/30857,
> but then the rest of the thread seems to lose track of the task and not give
> a decent answer.

The first comment of that issue explains what to do.

Make a directory sites/www.example.com.fr, another
sites/www.example.com.en and another sites/www.example.com.de.  Then
copy the pristine version of the settings.php file from the
sites/default folder to each of these or if you're using version 6 you
copy the default.settings.php.

> (it might be easier to understand the question if you forget about i18n
> altogether and just consider the question of putting multiple sites in
> subfolders).

The question becomes what data should be shared?  Or are they
independent?  If each site shares the same database be sure to set a
db_prefix for each site (something like fr_ or de_).

--
Earnie  http://r-feed.com
  Make a Drupal difference and review core patches.

-- http://for-my-kids.com/  -- http://give-me-an-offer.com/