[support] Drupal as a PHP development framework?

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Fri Dec 19 14:51:01 UTC 2008

Hello,

Can you use Drupal core as a PHP development framework? Suppose you want
to create a custom in-house web application which is not necessarily
going to be a Drupal module. What would you use?

I am the maintainer of a custom PHP application. It's quite poorly
written and I'm stuck maintaining it. I have been thinking that I'd like
to rewrite it from scratch. I don't *need* any third party software to
rewrite it, but it occurred to me that the final product might be better
if I used a good PHP development framework. So I started googling for
PHP application frameworks and I hit a Wikipedia page saying that some
people use Drupal as a development framework. So I thought I'd ask about
that here. Any thoughts?

I don't have a solid idea of what I'm looking for. I'm just looking to
see what's available.

Cheers,
Daniel.