[support] Drupal as a PHP development framework?

Seth Freach sfreach at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 16:14:35 UTC 2008

Daniel,

Yeah, if you're thinking of Drupal as a library, you are approaching it
from the wrong direction.

Knowing nothing about your app or experience level with Drupal, I'm
going to assume 3 things:
  - Your app is in a production environment and in use by your users
  - You are the only person supporting this app
  - Drupal is new to you.

If those three things are all true, I would probably lean away from
porting to Drupal, it probably wouldn't make good business sense.  You
may find yourself spending significant amounts of time just learning
Drupal before you even begin to think about your app in a Drupal
environment.

On the other hand, if you are looking to build more apps going forward
and want to learn a robust framework to build those on, the time spent
now will be a valuable investment, especially, if this particular app is
one that has a small user base and will not significantly suffer for
being a learning environment (aka: guinea pig)

-Seth