[support] FAPI and "returned" page

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Feb 7 16:19:06 UTC 2008

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 14:15:27 +0100
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:

> _submit and _validate get the form in a ordinate way... but they
> don't output anything on screen.
>
> Suppose I want to do something as stupid as multiplying 2 fields and
> return the output on screen without having to save the 2 fields
> somewhere... as if _submit was not going to return a path but just
> use $form_values in spite of $_POST and output something...
>
> I gave a look at how search works and at a quick glance it looks not
> suited.
> Up to my understanding it parse keys and then _submit append it to a
> url.

I tried to play a bit with multistep forms since it looks as the only
system to have $form_values back into the form generating function.

So the form function change it's output according to the received
$form_values.
I know _validate get called, but it seems that form_set_values()
inside _validate has no effect on the values received by the form
generating function.

Not that I really need to use form_set_value... but just for better
understanding of how things work...

Another thing I don't need now but that is out of my understanding is
how to succeed in getting the $form_values in the form generating
function *and* execute the _submit hook.

If the form is multistep, it doesn't fire the _submit hook so I'd be
curious to know how you could have the $form_values *and* fire the
_submit without the need to load what you submitted from the
DB/session/whatever.

thx

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo