[support] Mail Submit Page not Found

Brian Choc bchoc at t4tcolorado.org
Tue Feb 26 21:59:03 UTC 2008

Vasileios Lourdas wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 February 2008 22:32:09 Brian Choc wrote:
>
>> The watchdog log is rather sparse on useful errors.
>>
>> I just went to /user/3/contact to try to send an email. I was redirected
>> to a /user/3/contact page not found. The only new entry in the watchdog
>> log is a warning:
>> "warning page not found 02/26/2008 - 1:26pm 500.shtml Brian"
>>
>> The details:
>> "Details
>> Type page not found
>> Date Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 1:26pm
>> User Brian
>> Location http://www.sitename.org/user/3/contact
>> Referrer http://www.sitename.org/user/3/contact
>> Message 500.shtml
>> Severity warning
>> Hostname 63.225.99.xxx (my desktop's external IP)"
>>

>> Brian
>>

> Hi,
>
> I've experienced similar errors during a site development for a client. It
> turned out that the cause of the errors was modSecurity for Apache, which for
> some reason, blocked some urls, causing the page not found error. Could
> something similar be in your situation?

Well, it seems that the site completely lost its ability to send any
email, as new users no longer received their password emails (but no
error appears in the log). However, the CiviCRM module (which uses its
own email handling) still functions just fine. So the error appears to
be deeper than the "page not found" surface.

That said, it appears our host upgraded to PHP 5.2 this weekend (I was
not made aware of this until I went to post a ticket). However, the
server setup allows me to use an htaccess AddHandler to push the version
back to 5.1, and that seems to have resolved the problem! Your question
about modSecurity got me going down the path toward figuring this out,
so thanks!

Brian