[support] Drupal for University use

Mark Shropshire mdshrops at shropnet.com
Wed Jan 9 01:55:11 UTC 2008

John,

I work at The University of North Carolina at Charlotte. While we do
not have a central CMS, we use Drupal heavily in the Student Affairs
division. We run Drupal for standard public web sites, employee
portals/intranets and have started using it as a web app framework
over the past year replacing legacy ASP apps.

A few things that have helped me a long the way:

1. Test and study contrib modules before installing in prod. Once you
start using a module, you are supporting it and it is hard to take it
away from end-users
2. Standardize on a theme. We use common custom themes on most
departmental sites. The only thing we change is departmental branding.
We occasionally change colors and styling for special events (ex:
Homecoming Drupal site).
3. Setup and plan for good training for your Drupal content editors.
My staff absolutely love Drupal and I think it is partly because we do
training and have monthly Drupal user group meetings to discuss new
ideas. Users training users.. it is great!
4. Take the time planning your hardware and software infrastructure.
5. Take a look at multisite as others have mentioned. We currently use
it to quickly move sites between dev, test and prod. I am considering
deploying a Drupal hosted service for our student organizations who
need community sites and don't have web expertise or do not want to
use free off-campus services. We would use multisite and a common set
of themes and modules for this.
6. Make sure you have staff with expertise in apache/php/mysql
administration, Drupal install/setup/upgrading (of course) and it will
be great to have programmers who know or learn Drupal API so you can
take full advantage of Drupal's power. You will probably need to have
staff spend time scripting to make Drupal management easier. ex:
setting up new sites, removing sites, moving sites to other servers,
backups, etc.
7. Look into integrating the LDAP Integration module with your Drupal
installs. It works great for us using eDirectory or AD. It is so nice
having faculty, staff and students authenticate using their standard
username and passwords. Of course, make sure to use an SSL cert. I use
a bit of code in my settings.php file to automatically switch to https://
  when the login page is presented.
8. Drupal has pretty rapid development, especially compared to
commercial solutions, so you have to stay on top of changes, patches,
updates, etc.

Thanks!
Mark