[support] multiple site, on database confusion

will hall will at theicarusproject.net
Sun Jan 20 19:12:57 UTC 2008

hi everyone, thanks for the prompt replies.

this is helpful but i am a drupal newbie and it's a bit hard for me to
follow; i hope you can be patient as i ask some more newbie questions.

i have 2 separate domains www.myoriginalsite.com and www.mynewsite.com.

i create a sites/www.mynewpodcastsite.com directory.

i register the domain www.mynewsite.com and have the namerserver point
to -- where -- to make this work? is there an apache config file that
will make requests for www.mynewsite.com go to the sub-directory?

so now i have two settings.php files, one in /sites/default and one in
/sites/www.mynewpodcastsite.com? and drupal will only use
/sites/www.mynewpodcastsite.com when www.mynewpodcastsite.com is the url
prefix being accessed?

then in this new settings.php file i can change the base_url value, but
leave the database info the same.

How does drupal know how to use a completely different template and
configuration for the new site?

if there is an article on drupal.org or somewhere that walks me through
this that would be ideal, i'm a bit beyond my skillset here and on a
steep learning curve.

thanks for help!

-- will