[support] multiple site, on database confusion

Michael Prasuhn mike at mikeyp.net
Sun Jan 20 19:43:46 UTC 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 11:12 AM, will hall wrote:

> hi everyone, thanks for the prompt replies.
>
> this is helpful but i am a drupal newbie and it's a bit hard for me to
> follow; i hope you can be patient as i ask some more newbie questions.
>
> i have 2 separate domains www.myoriginalsite.com and
> www.mynewsite.com.
>
> i create a sites/www.mynewpodcastsite.com directory.

I believe you only need to use example.com, without the www for the
directory names.

> i register the domain www.mynewsite.com and have the namerserver point
> to -- where -- to make this work? is there an apache config file that
> will make requests for www.mynewsite.com go to the sub-directory?

Point your name server at your web server. You will need to configure
Apache in most instances, and you should point Apache to the same dir
that the first domain is set to. You can pretty much duplicate the
original config file or info and replace the domain in it for the most
part.

> so now i have two settings.php files, one in /sites/default and one in
> /sites/www.mynewpodcastsite.com? and drupal will only use
> /sites/www.mynewpodcastsite.com when www.mynewpodcastsite.com is the
> url
> prefix being accessed?

That's correct.

> then in this new settings.php file i can change the base_url value,
> but
> leave the database info the same.
>
> How does drupal know how to use a completely different template and
> configuration for the new site?

If you are doing database sharing, i.e. the same database for both
sites, you'll need to use the $conf array at the end of the
settings.php file to set things such as theme, front_page, etc. You
can set any variable that Drupal uses here. Take a peak through the
variable table and this will give you some ideas how to make it work,
or use the devel module to check variables.

> if there is an article on drupal.org or somewhere that walks me
> through
> this that would be ideal, i'm a bit beyond my skillset here and on a
> steep learning curve.

Probably, but I'm not sure where. Hope this helps.

-Mike

> thanks for help!
>
> -- will

Michael Prasuhn