[support] VPS/Dedicated hosting

Brett Evanson brettev at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 19:18:41 UTC 2008

I'm trying to decide between dedicated hosting and a VPS setup. Make sure I
understand this correctly. In both cases, you can control your mysql
connections, and you get all of them, so that won't change. The thing that
changes between a VPS and a dedicated server is the amount of RAM and CPU
that you are given, right?

Having said that, for a site that isn't media intensive (mostly flat page),
how am I to gauge how much RAM/CPU I need, especially when the numbers for
expected visitors is obviously throwing a dart at a board? Is there any
general rule of thumb for how many page views/users/hits translates into xxx
RAM/CPU requirements?

I understand this is a almost ridiculous question, as it is difficult to
pinpoint something like this, but am I able to expect hundreds of users on a
VPS? Thousands? 20? Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

--

Brett Evanson

HYPERLINK "mailto:brettev at gmail.com"brettev at gmail.com

Checked by AVG Free Edition.