[support] VPS/Dedicated hosting

sander-martijn lists at severeddreams.com
Tue Jan 29 19:38:17 UTC 2008

Actually it gets a bit more complicated.  You're also likely sharing
resources like ethernet connections, and still somewhat succeptible to
what others are doing.

I also think that media intensive pages aren't going to be where you
encounter issues when it comes to drupal.  It's more likely going to be
related to the requirements of the construction of the page.

One rather extreme example is a client who has seemingly fairly simple
requirements and not a huge traffic load but certain elements on the
page - for example drop-down menus for the entire site - cause a massive
amount of database queries (1100/page) to load each page.  Block caching
(menus don't change often) and other techniques have reduced this number
and helped, but because of the way drupal works it's still a heavy site
- and that's with few images and next to no media.  It's heavy on the
database, a major shared resource.

In short, there's really no way to say that all sites with a certain set
of requirements will work with a given solution.  I never thought the
site I'm speaking of would have these issues (granted it was my first
drupal project and i had a lot to learn about the architecture at that
point).

In general, drupal is a pretty hoggy system - if you have experience
building java/jsp sites, spec your server out similarly to that.  If you
spec it like you would other php apps you'll probably be disappointed.

.s