[support] VPS/Dedicated hosting

Jamie Meredith jlmeredith at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 20:22:07 UTC 2008

My experience with a cpanel/whm based VPS is that 256 megs of ram is just
barely enough for a cold install.  I have been running on  512 meg system
for over a year through asmallorange.com and have been very satisfied.  Some
would pooh pooh the use of a control panel for a VPS, but for me it makes
life much easier.  It does though cause some overhead that other systems do
not have.   I recently compared the server specs of ASO to Bryght and found
that I was better sticking with where I am at.  Though I will say that ASO
is not going to be nearly as helpful with Drupal related stuff as Bryght
would be.  I like having the ability through ASO to rebuild Apache whenever
some strange system requirement comes along.  Over all it has been very
stable.  Occasionally you have the odd issue where someone else on the
appliance is hogging disk time which causes server loads to rise, but other
than that it is not a big deal.  Unless you are planning for huge levels of
traffic in the very short term I would start off with a VPS.  I should also
note that you can reduce the over head of your VPS by disabling services
which may get you in under the 256 meg window for the cheaper VPS plan.
Just my two cents!

Jamie