[support] upgrading to 5.8. One question.

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Jul 10 20:55:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:25:15 +0100
"Neil: esl-lounge.com" <neil at esl-lounge.com> wrote:

> the upgrade.txt that comes with 5.8 mentions the following:
>
> 4.  Disable contributed modules and switch to a core theme
>     (Bluemarine or Garland).
>
> I seem to recall I had problems way back around 5.3 doing this. I
> disabled CCK I think it was and tables such as content_type_XYZ in
> my db were eliminated, together with the content in them. Am I
> remembering correctly?
>
> So this is keeping me from disabling any contributed modules until
> I'm sure about this as I don't want to lose data.
>
> does this ring a bell with anyone?

Giving a look to the patch in spite of just copying the new version
over the old one makes much easier to decide how to upgrade.
When DB schema changes are involved it may be worth to make the site
inaccessible for a while during the update.

The websites I'm babysitting with the modules I'm using didn't have
any problem from 5.7->5.8. I just had to revert a couple of changes
I did on core to live better with postgresql and sessions, but
that's not terrible if you've your site under any rcs.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it