[support] Content Type Dele problem

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jul 30 14:03:30 UTC 2008

Quoting Bill Fitzgerald <bill at funnymonkey.com>:

> My .02 --
>
> I don't really see this as a bug, but as a feature that protects a site
> from mass content deletion if a node type is inadvertently deleted.

It is a bug that you don't get the warning you mention below.

> One possible fix, which would be more of a feature: if there are nodes
> of any content type, flash a warning onscreen if a user is attempting to
> delete the node type.

Yes, and if it doesn't stop the user from deleting the content type
with content assigned without deleting the content then it is a design
flaw, IMNSHO.  The lack of foreign key relationships is the reason that
this design can flourish.

> Generally, though, the ability to delete node types should only be given
> to highly trusted -- and highly competent -- users.

I agree but that doesn't negate the flawed design feature.

> Cheers,
>
> Bill
>
> bharani kumar wrote:
>> Hi
>>

>> The steps to generate the bug are:
>>
>> 1. Create a Content type (eg: Content type 1)
>>
>> 2. Create a content(eg: content-1) of the same content type (Content type
>> 1).
>> 3. Delete the Content type (i.e., Content type 1).
>> 4. Try to edit the content (content-1).
>>
>> The browser will show warning,
>> and you wont be able to edit the
>> contents.
>>
>> 5. Now create a content-type with the same name, which you have deleted
>> (i.e., Content type 1), and you will be able to edit or delete your content
>> (i.e., content-1).
>>

>> ???Any solution

Create a module to hook_form_alter and add a #validate function that
will be called and add form_error() message if the content type has
content.

Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
-- http://give-me-an-offer.com/