[support] Search engine issue

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Mon Jun 16 00:16:23 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 4:26 AM, Edward  Peters
<edward.peters at uk.iofc.org> wrote:
> Does anyone know a way of getting the search engine to index static html
> files in the files directory? The Search Attachments module does a good job
> with PDFs, Docs etc, but I don't know how to do plain html files.

Here are a couple ideas why they wouldn't get indexed:

1) The files directory is excluded by robots.txt and/or some rules in
your .htaccess
2) The content is too new and the engines just haven't prioritized seeing it yet
3) You don't have any links to those pages on the anonymously
available parts of your site so the search engines don't know about it
because there is no link to it.

If item 1 is the problem, just remove the files directory from
robots.txt or .htacess
If item 2 is the problem, be patient :)

If item 3 is the problem, you could add the links in a place that
makes sense.  You could also use the xmlsitemap module and visit
admin/settings/xmlsitemap/additional to add "additional" pages outside
of the normal Drupal items that get added via the xmlsitemap suite of
modules. http://drupal.org/project/xmlsitemap

Regards,
Greg

--