[support] Session problems

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Tue Jun 24 13:19:10 UTC 2008

Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> Thanks. I have to say that I don't really understand that option. I made
>> the change, but I don't understand what I just did.
>
>  From http://php.net/session.configuration we see:
>
>   session.use_only_cookies  boolean
>     session.use_only_cookies specifies whether the module will only use
> cookies to store the session id on the client side. Enabling this
> setting prevents attacks involved passing session ids in URLs. This
> setting was added in PHP 4.3.0. Defaults to 1 (enabled) since PHP 6.0.

Yes. I had read that. But I don't see what that has to do with sessions
expiring. For that matter, I don't know what else PHP would be using
besides cookies.

Oh oh.... I think I get it. That says that the cookie will only the
session id and and other than that no other information will be
stored.... Is that right?

Sorry, I'm dumb. When I read that the first time I thought it meant
"session id will be stored in cookies but nowhere else" and my reaction
was "where else would you store it?".

Daniel.