[support] managing pages with lists of information

John Callahan diodata at UDel.Edu
Fri Jun 27 06:44:28 UTC 2008

I've been looking for a way to easily manage pages that contain a list
of information.  For example, a single page with a list of US States,
capital cities, and current population counts.  Or a list of volunteers
including their interests and contact info.  Or even a list of
organizations contributing to a project with a paragraph or two about
each.  There are some modules that do things like TODO lists, task
lists, etc, but nothing quite fits.

1) For maintaining a list of single items with attributes of each (like
multiple rows in a table), how could this be done?  I'd like the user to
edit (modify/add/delete) one item at a time without opening the entire
page for editing.  You see this on things like Google Calendar, when you
click on a field it turns into a text box ready for edits.  And maybe
open text boxes at the bottom for easily adding new items.  For lists
that get over 50, 100 items or so, editing the entire page to make one
change to one item could be a nightmare.

2) For maintaining a list of items with paragraph descriptions for each
(like a staff bio page with sections like interests, current projects,
publications, background, etc...), I thought about creating a custom
node type with each section being a different CCK field.  Users still
have to open the entire page for editing but at least they can deal with
one section/text box at a time.  Of course, this only works if I know
the number of sections a priori, unless I allow my content providers the
abilit to add more CCK fields!

Thanks for any ideas you may have for maintaining this type of content.
The best I found so far is to use a filter (like TWikfilter ot
flexifilter) module for easy editing.  However, this seems to be only
part of the solution.

- John

John Callahan
Geospatial Application Developer